Christhankmas

Yes you read my title right. Not too many know why as a Schlaeger family we sort of role Thanksgiving and Christmas together by decorating early each year. Not that you probably care, but I thought it would be sweet to share the meaning behind our madness. My mother in-law died from lung cancer almost three years ago and Christmas time and especially decor were her favorite things ever! She spent most of the other months leading into December buying more to add to her already special collection; my favorite being the ornaments for all of the grandchildren (mine are #19 and #22 by the way). If you have ever lost someone, you know the extra heartache holidays can bring while missing them. Starting with my father in-law, he decided at the first one without her that he would decorate their home for November and December with all the pretty things they had collected together to make what she loved last even longer. I know he is not alone in feeling her presence after the rooms have all been done up, but it has become a special tradition to honor her by especially now as our girls get older. Most people after Halloween head into Thanksgiving plans, and trust me we do too, but don’t be surprised if we’re thinking all things Grandma Sharon and Christmas around the Schlaeger household next week!

See I’ll be the first to say Happy Holidays too! 😜
-S.

Comments

Popular Posts