Sport Me

 While I can not pretend to know what high school or even college students are going through right now, after all I am way past my prime and knee deep in the Elementary years as a parent, I do know something about disappointment. As if this virus can take any more from us, more and more students are losing their ability to not only start school in person, but more so, the ability to compete in sports this Fall. For many that postpones the opportunities to letter, get an athletic scholarship, set records, break records, gain attention, win championships, and not to mention just the plain old ability to play in the sport they love. My heart breaks for them! While I did not have a global pandemic breeding during my senior year in high school, I had a coach who for whatever reason put a road block on my season, and as a captain no less. It has taken me almost fifteen years now to see that experience for anything other than heart wrenching. Unfair is just plain unfair sometimes. Unlike many who are watching their school year and Fall season go up in flames before it has even begun, I can empathize, truly empathize with that full-blown feeling of disappointment. This roadblock in your current life has nothing to do with who you are as a person or your ability to play in the game. Its beyond your control which is the most helpless feeling in the world! For whatever reason, my senior soccer season has come full circle, and perhaps even after all this time, it can allow me to simply understand, support, and lead from a place of understanding. Even if there isn't any lesson to be learned for the high school and college students this year, or the ones from last Spring, I can assure that while the disappointment is real; it will make each and every one so much stronger even in the years to come. 

Comments

Popular Posts