Sober Curious

Perhaps your curiosity is what lead you to read this. No, it wasn’t a catch to draw you in with a cleaver title to a somewhat abandoned blog. I decided that starting October 2019 I would give up all alcohol for at least a year. I say at least because it may last longer depending. That’s the thing, I’ve never been one that ever depended on alcohol anyways. I’ve proved over the last decade that I really don’t need any alcohol to enjoy life. I can sing and dance badly but enjoy it- sober! To be honest, I’ve never been a big drinker, and after I had children, the taste changed and I found myself forcing to like  it anyways. Please tell me that I'm not the only one! It wasn’t until after I had unintentionally gone four months without a drop last year, and then started reading about others like- Brené Brown, Courtney Carver, Glennon Doyle, and Cait Flanders, that I decided to get sober too. These women are just to name a few, but their testimonies are so encouraging. I realized after discovering them, that whether we needed to or chose to, we all figured out that we could live without alcohol. It was then that best decision for me was to instill getting sober going forward, and it continues to be in these next ten months. It was after pulling myself away, that I finally lost the blinders over my eyes, and realized how much as a society we are influenced by being under the influence. I know in saying that, it could lead to a long and perhaps heated discussion of pros and cons, but simply stating; as a society we tend to paint a dangerous picture of saying that in order to live a fun, relaxing, and happy life- alcohol has to coexist. But it’s not for everyone!

 Last year I discovered that my own life wasn’t influenced by alcohol and so I found it easy and the best choice currently to give it up. In doing so, I am hoping to discover that my life doesn't revolve around any fixes. That facing life challenges can be done in a healthy way; so that in the future, if I want an alcoholic beverage, I can enjoy it simply because I am choosing to and not because I am pressured to do so.


Comments

Popular Posts