Parenthood (not the series)

When I first became a mom my gut instincts proved to be my greatest tool. After all there’s no manual- spoiler alert! Don’t get me wrong, parenting experts and just plain parents in general have their place too; it does take a village. However, after becoming a mom for the second time, most of what I knew beforehand- just didn’t work. In so many ways my youngest made me feel like I hadn’t even parented before. Talk about becoming humble! I won’t even go there with personality differences, but just the medical stuff put me in my place and allowed me for the first time to face motherhood in a whole new approach. It showed me that nothing can truly prepare you for that specific child until you’re knee deep in keeping them alive. And I used to think that offering wisdom and parenting hacks was my greatest asset to friends, family, or just anyone entering into parenting- ha. Instead, what I have discovered is that listening is the best thing I can offer. Sure my experiences make me some what of a seasoned veteran, but because I’m not in their trenches with their child or children, my support is being there with my ears first. What I truly hope to offer going forward is maybe what not to do as a parent, but also the community piece. After all, whatever season of parenting we find ourselves- we need each other. 

Comments

Popular Posts