Strawberry Pancakes for Two

I had the privilege of bringing my grandmother to her doctors appointment this morning. After getting checked out and flirting with the male nurse a bit, we busted out of the office like we had just earned our freedom. Two girls up to no good and we were going to make a day of it.
My husband refers to us as his "Thelma and Louise," and we would have pulled off the part perfectly if only the top of the car was down. As we drove into the city I asked my Gran if she was really up for this and she replied, "I'm up for it" with more enthusiasm that I had seen come from her in a long time. Our first stop was a late breakfast where we quickly settled for three stacks of strawberry buttermilk pancakes each. My grandmother told me as we were waiting for our food that she would pick strawberries as a little girl and sell them in Blue Earth for 10 cents a quart. She confessed that she has loved strawberries ever since then and today she just couldn't resist. She didn't have to convince me that was for sure, as I was hooked from the picture on the menu. We were just two strawberry lovers in heaven I guess.

Just a breakfast and bathroom break later, we were on our way to the salon. I watched as the stylist trimmed off the ends of her beautiful sliver locks, and only a moment later she was all dolled up and ready for some shopping. I can honestly say that I felt as if I was shopping with one of my girlfriends, as we tried out many shirts for one that was just the right size and color. As we drove back home after a satisfying day of cakes and bargins, I truly wondered how I had become so blessed to be spending this time with such a wonderful person. I know today meant a lot to my Gran because of the joy on her face and in her voice, but little does she know that today had meant the world to me.





Comments

Popular Posts